The McLaren P1 has been named as the number one supercar model classic car enthusiasts should consider investing in, according to our latest research. If of course, you are one of the fortunate few that could afford one in the current climate.
Classic cars are typically defined as a make or model that is 25 years or older, so to understand which makes and models could be considered a classic as of 2022, we analysed all cars that have been in production since 1997 to the present day and ranked them by rarity and search volume.
The research found that McLaren was the car brand that collectors should consider investing in. The P1 model topped the supercar classic car index, due to its low production levels (just 439 models were produced) and its high level of search volume (40,500).
The Tesla Roadstar, which was in production between 2008 and 2012, came a close second in the index, followed by the supercar Bugatti Veyron. The top ten supercars that could be considered classic cars of the future are:
1. McLaren P1 (price when new: £866,000)
2. Tesla Roadstar (price when new: from $80,000)
3. Bugatti Veyron (price when new: $1.9 Million)
4. BMW i8 (price when new: from £124,735)
5. Lamborghini Aventador SVJ (price when new: from £271,146)
6. Audi R8 V10 (price when new: From £111,640)
7. Lexus LFA (price when new: £343,000)
8. Pagani Huayra (price when new: £2.8 million
9. Ford GT (second generation) (price when new: $500,000)
10. Ferrari Enzo (price when new: £450,000)
David Boulton, Managing Director at BPI Auctions, said: “The classic car community is huge in the UK and cars can be a lucrative investment. When thinking about cars with high resale values, special edition and rare models will always have a huge demand, but collectors should also consider the history of the car and the impact it will have on the industry – for example, the Tesla Roadstar changed the game for electric vehicles, as it was the first road-legal all-electric car to use lithium-ion battery cells, and was the first car to be launched into space”.
We run monthly classic car auctions with a collection of cars, campers, pick up’s, motorbikes & vehicle-related memorabilia. The auctions attract thousands of page views and hundreds of registered bidders.
Find out more about BPI Classic Car Auctions here.